This healthy veggie stew has real depth of flavour with thyme, cumin, coriander, cinnamon, tumeric, harissa, fennel seeds and lemon - a taste explosion that transports you to North Africa for a bit of escapism!
It contains three of your 5+ veggies per day and is great for feeding the family.
Goes well with griddled flatbreads or spicy quinoa.
- 4 tomatoes, halved
- 5 tbsp olive oil
- 250g butternut squash, peeled and chopped into large chunks
- 1 tbsp thyme leaves
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 x 400g cans chickpeas, drained
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp turmeric
- 1 tbsp harissa
- 1l vegetable stock
- 100g feta, crumbled
- 1 lemon, zested, then cut into wedges
- 2 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 200g cavolo nero, shredded
- handful fresh coriander leaves, to serve
- Heat oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6. Put the tomatoes on a baking sheet lined with baking parchment, drizzle over 2 tbsp olive oil, season and roast in the oven for 20 mins or until soft. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, pour 2 tbsp oil into a large saucepan and add the squash, thyme, garlic and onion. Season generously and cook on a low heat for 15 mins or until the vegetables begin to soften (but not brown).
- Add the tomatoes, chickpeas, bay, ground spices and harissa. Season to taste and pour in the stock. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 30-35 mins until the liquid has reduced.
- Put the feta in a small bowl and add the remaining olive oil and the lemon zest. Mix well and set aside.
- Toast the fennel seeds in a frying pan for 1 min, then lightly crush with a pestle and mortar, or in a bowl with the back of a rolling pin.
- Add the ground coriander and cavolo nero to the stew and cook for 2 mins.
- Put the stew in a bowl and top with a scoop of feta, a sprinkling of coriander leaves and fennel seeds, and some seasoning. Serve with lemon wedges on the side.