A warming hearty supper!
- 250g chestnut mushrooms
- 200g oyster mushrooms
- 1 glove of garlic chopped
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 1 carrot chopped into cubes
- 1 small turnip
- 1 medium-sized potato
- 1 parsnip
- Vegetable stock cube
- Vegetarian Worcester sauce
- Coarse grain mustard
- Horseradish sauce or freshly grated horseradish root
- Crème fraiche or oat fraiche (to make it vegan)
- 3 sprigs of thyme
- 3 tbsp flat leaf parsley chopped
- 4 tbsp Olive oil
- Heat the oven to 200°C.
- Roughly chop the mushrooms, add 1½ tbsp of oil to a pan and heat, then add the mushrooms and some ground pepper and sauté over a medium-high heat for 7 minutes until nicely browned.
- Meanwhile peel and finely chop the garlic, and pull the thyme leaves from the stalks. Peel and slice the onion into half-moons. Peel and chop the carrot into cubes. Peel roughly chop the turnip into 1cm chunks.
- Once the mushrooms are done, remove from the pan and set aside. Now add 1 ½ tbsp of oil to the same pan and reduce the heat down to medium. Add the onion, carrot and turnip and cook for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the garlic and the thyme leaves and continue to cook for a further 7 minutes or until the onion has softened and is starting to brown.
- Meanwhile peel and grate the potato and parsnip into a bowl and mix with a pinch of salt and some freshly ground black pepper.
- Return the mushrooms to the pan with the vegetable and add the vegetable stock and 100ml of boiling water. Stir everything together and leave to simmer on a medium-low heat for 3 minutes. Then add the vegetarian Worcester sauce, the mustard and horseradish sauce, the crème fraiche or oat fraiche and the parsley stir gently to form a sauce.
- Transfer the mixture to the ovenproof dish and top with the potato and parsnip mixture, several good grinds of black pepper and drizzle evenly with 1 tbsp of olive oil. Make sure to leave a gap in the middle the size of a bottle top in the centre of the parsnip and potato topping to allow the steam to escape during cooking.
- Bake in the oven for 25 minutes until golden brown and crispy.
- Serve with steamed spinach, broccoli, kale or Cavolo Nero cabbage.